18 February, 2009

Samoussas


Yes, I know I've already posted these recipe, but I thought I'd explain it all a little more clearly for you. For a start, I don't make the pastry myself - we use Brick Pastry, which is sort of like filo pastry. If the filo pastry is too brittle, you need to dampen it before use.

There are a couple of things that can be substituted within the chicken samoussa recipe, such as the same amount of ground or fresh ginger instead of the ginger paste, fresh garlic in stead of the garlic paste, ground cumin instead of the cumin seeds, and if you can't find Garam Masala you can make it yourself with the following formula.

Ingredients For Garam Masala:

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground cardamom
2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns
2 tablespoons ground cinammon
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon saffron (optional)

The folding is a little complicated, but I have made a video for you of my mum folding samoussas for you.

Hope it helps!


Enjoy!

1 comments:

Briana said...

Hi, I just found you through Shakespeare's Housekeeper. These recipes look absolutely fabulous. I would love to try some of these. And since I'm old and can't see without my glasses, I'll take you up on your offer to email larger copies.

One of my son's has celiac disease so he can't have wheat. So, anything you have that doesn't have flour would be GREATLY appreciated.

When I have a few minutes, I'm going to read through your blogs. They look great.

My e-mail is bpeterson2030@aol.com