14 December, 2008

The Things We Miss

Isn’t it weird the things we miss when we’re not in the UK? For me, most of these things are now available in France eg. Cheddar (Galloway cheddar no less, available in our local Leclerc), English sausages, Marmite, Bisto Gravy, Quavers and Monster Munch, Cadbury’s chocolate, english white bread etc. Most of the supermarkets around here have given in to the influx of Brits in the area, and have small import sections, mainly with English products. I would like to know who decides what to buy though, because a lot of the products seem to me to be daft, but then different people like different things I suppose. We also have a small shop here, in Condom, which sells English products. It is called Churchills – if you live near here, ask me for directions!

What has got me thinking about this is that in the last few weeks I have found it impossible to find rhubarb. Yes, you read right…rhubarb!

I adore rhubarb crumble. It’s one of those staples of winter/spring. We had it in our garden in Scotland, growing like a flipping weed. Try as I might, I have not been able to find it anywhere here, fresh, tinned or jarred. The only place that had it was Churchills. But, a product like that is not cheap anywhere, and I really don’t want to pay 2€ a tin each time I want to make a crumble.

So, I have asked someone I know, who is a bit of a gardening guru! Apparently you can grow it from seed but it takes a very long time. You can also buy the young plants here in nurseries. He has also offered to bring me some back when he comes back from UK in March. So, if I can’t find any here, I will ask him to do that.

Our freezer used to have loads of stewed rhubarb in it, in preparation for crumbles. I might even get adventurous and try different rhubarb recipes!


For my crumble recipe check out my post "Winter Warming".
NB. Photographs not my own work

3 comments:

Robert said...

My grandmother used to make rhubarb crumble & you got me thinking about her after reading your post. She had loads of it in her garden (in Ireland). My grandfather used to throw 2 bucketfuls of watered-down pig dung on it every day. Mmmmmm, it tasted good!

Mary Poppins said...

Alright, alright... next time I'm in Tescos and rhubarb is cheap, I'll buy a the lot, cook and freeze it JUST FOR YOU. You might not get it 'til 2015, mind you...

KatduGers said...

I'll look forward to that! Hmmmm, does rhubarb go bendy like celery does when it's gone off? Can't wait - bendy rhubarb crumbles!

xx