02 December, 2008

Temporary Duty AGAIN!

Hi, I’m really sorry I’ve been so lax at blogging! You see, I’ve been caught up in watching The Tudors. I’ve only recently discovered this series, and have almost finished Season 1 so far. I also have Season 2 to watch! I have it stored on my hard drive, and the other day, when I had got to Episode 7 (of 10) I went and deleted the whole lot by mistake! I was so cross with myself! Anyway, I have it all back now!I am dogsitting – again! This time I am at the house of the forever shagging lovebirds. Unfortunately (for her, not me) the owner no longer has the shagging lovebirds as they shagged off! It was hell living with them. Their cage was in the same room where I sit with my laptop, and I promise you, they were constantly at it, and they would shriek at each moment of climax (of which there were many!) – if birds have orgasms! So as you can imagine I was delighted to hear that they had shagged off!

What this has to do with The Tudors is that I am sleeping in an antique four poster bed. It is a beautiful bed, and reportedly dates from the time of JamesVI & I (of Scotland and England – in that order!). I know he was a Stuart, but he did come after Elizabeth I who was a Tudor. Also his grandmother (?) was Margaret Tudor, sister of Henry VIII. In the program they have morphed her character and her sister Mary, so the portrayal of Margaret in The Tudors, is more of her sister Mary - and even that's wrong!

So anyway, watching the programme it’s interesting to see beds in it that are obviously antiques and the real thing, as they are practically identical to the one in which I am sleeping. I have blogged about this bed before, but that was in the old blog. I don’t think James VI himself actually ever slept in this particular bed – I haven’t woken up to any diminutive ginger ghosties yet, so I think I’ll be fine!I’ve been putting my time here to good use so far – I’ve done almost all my Christmas shopping AND wrapping! It’s great because I can get it all done without Isla around, as she has to stay at home during the week to go to school because, quite frankly, the fuel is too expensive to take her to school from here every day. She comes up at the weekends though, and thinks it is incredibly cool to sleep in a four poster bed!

I asked the owner if she would like me to go and get her a Christmas Tree and decorate it etc before she came back, so that the house would feel lovely and welcoming. She said no thank you – she doesn’t believe in that sort of thing! I thought to myself that I bet she believes in the present bit! Maybe that’s why we’re skint though – we always buy ourselves a good sized real tree, which is far from cheap, and normally have to replace one or two sets of lights, or a bit of new tinsel etc. We make a really big thing of Christmas, and treat it as a big family occasion, and have loads of presents each. Maybe that’s why the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor – they are a bunch of tightwads, whereas we enjoy ourselves and make the most of what we have.

Anyway, I have brought my little fibre optic tree for my desk here, and I bought a 1m20 fake tree for the kitchen/dining room/sitting room – it’s all one long room. It only cost €6.99, so didn’t break the bank, and I brought some decorations from home, and Isla and I spent Saturday afternoon decorating it to cheer the place up a bit. I know…it wasn’t even December yet then, but I just wanted something to brighten the place up and make it more homely. I’ve also made my Christmas playlist on iTunes and my iPod – no doubt I’ll be totally sick of it by the time Christmas rolls around, but I want to be in the mood NOW!

1 comments:

justme said...

Hey, Its great that you are getting into christmas and enjoying yourself! I am being very boring this year and haven't even bought a tree yet, but you know what? I think I will!