02 December, 2008

My TV Viewing

My viewing recently has been neither high brow, nor even with any pretence of intellectualness (is that a word?).

This week I has been mostly watching reality TV (Fast Show reference there for those who know it).

I’m A Celebrity to be precise! I do admit to liking this one actually. It’s fun, gory (especially when they have to eat bugs) and the group dynamics are very interesting, especially when the campers start leaving! The bitchiness in this year’s group is outstanding, and most of them are joining in the back stabbing, but Joe Swash (Mickey Miller from Eastenders) and Esther Rantzen have been the best of the group. Unfortunately Esther has gone – I would have liked to see her make it to the end – but Joe is still there, and I would like him to win.
I have also been watching the X Factor every week, and I am more and more convinced that it is fixed. From the beginning the judges have been right behind Eggnog (Eoghan which is pronounced Owen I think – Eggnog is easier) and Diana. Eggnog is ok, he’s only about 16 but he’s not bad – but not great. Diana on the other hand is absolutely appalling – she sounds worse than a scalded cat, and why anyone thinks she can sing is beyond me. Her yelpy caterwauling gets worse each week, and last week she murdered Everybody Hurts (REM). If you’re going to murder a song, please don’t lake it that one – it’s too beautiful a song to kill like that. The sentiments were true though – everybody was hurting just listening to her. She has this little girl look, waves her hands about, and they seem to be capitalising on her “differentness”. Yuck, get her out. They voted out Ruth Lorenzo last week – and absolutely amazing singer with a real rock chick voice. She needs to make an album written by the guy who writes for Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler (Jim Steinman) – she has an amazing rock ballad voice. Judging by the look on Simon and Louis’ faces the other night, I don’t think she will be waiting long until she has a record deal.

They have voted off some really good people this year – Ruth, Laura, Rachel – all of whom have great talent, but are being overlooked for the likes of Eggnog and Diana.

At least we still have Alexandra in the competition – she is the one hope left for people who are not either tone deaf or completely deaf.

She is amazing, and fully deserves to win – if she doesn’t, and if Diana does win then I think it will be clear to the British public that there is something very wrong with the voting system – if indeed it has any effect at all on the outcome.



It hasn’t been all reality TV in the last week – I have been reading, watching The Tudors (as mentioned before) and doing some work on my course. So my brain is not completely vegetating!
Click on pictures for links to sites.

0 comments: