28 January, 2009

The Great Storm! - Day Three

Day Three

On Monday we had electricity on and off throughout the day – more on than off. The water finally came back on late in the afternoon, so we at least managed to have showers!

We managed to check emails and the news etc, and discovered that over a million homes in SW France have been without power, phone and water, and that about 15 people have died as a result of the storm. EDF France drafted in over 1000 power workers from the other countries in which they operate – UK, Holland, Portugal and somewhere else!

Moses came back again in the evening, with some steaks that he cooked for us.

And I am about to go to bed because I am now full of the cold that Isla has! She’s so generous – she always makes sure to share everything with me, particularly her germs! I guess last night wasn’t such a win-win situation after all.

Aaaatchoo!

3 comments:

Shakespeare's Housekeeper said...

Ye gads Kat...this is all so dreadful.
We've seen on the news that it was really bad, but i'm glad you're doing ok!
Suddenly having to revert back to what life was like 200 years ago is something that you would normally give some thought to for a week or two before trying it- having it forced on you in the space of a few hours shows how resiliant you are.
SHxx

Shakespeare's Housekeeper said...

Hey Kat- i've tagged you to do an 'Honest Scrap'- fancy baring more of your soul to the world?
It's quite theraputic, actually...
SH xx

justme said...

I am so glad you survived without too much damage. It all sounds truly terrifying......as well as horribly inconvenient. Glad you are ok. Particularly the lack of water. I am not human if I am not clean!
Sorry to be so late commenting....I thought I had, before, but maybe I pressed the wrong button. I do that sometimes.
Hope youe are back to normal now....