08 January, 2009

Domestic Goddesses Strike Again!

My mum and I have spent another one of those days cooking. We do this once in a while.

To explain - we have this electricity system, supplied by EDF, called Tempo. What this means is that we have six different rates of electricity: Expensive (day and night), Medium (day and night) and Cheap (day and night). The expensive and medium days only occur during winter months, which makes sense as people use their heating more. The rest of the year is cheap. So, on expensive days (which EDF conveniently plan for the coldest days of the year) we don't use any appliances which use a lot of electricity, so no heaters, washing machine or dishwasher or kettle - apparently kettles are one of the most expensive appliances to use - something to do with heating elements. If you want a cup of tea, boil a saucepan of water! On expensive days we live in the sitting room and the kitchen. We have a big gas cooker, so we spend the day cooking loads of meals to put into the freezer.

Yesterday we went shopping and bought loads of meat, so today we did interesting things with it! We made cheese samoussas, beef samoussas and chicken samoussas, and I also did a chicken curry. We also bought a massive pack of pork, almost ten kilos for about €23 I think, so we had to separate that into packs of chops and there was a massive roasting joint which will do about three meals. So, all in all a very productive day, and kept warm as well!

Such a fun life we lead in the Gers during the winter!For the Butter Chicken I forgot to put in the recipe that I added about 100ml of chicken stock, and that I used 500ml of crème fraiche, but that's just because I really like juicy curries!

Hope you try and enjoy!

I'm sure more exciting things will happen for me to tell you about!

5 comments:

Jo said...

Sounds yummy! I think I need to come visit you for some cooking lessons!

KatduGers said...

No problem - it's always open house! I'm sure you don't need lessons though - just try the recipes!

Valkyrie said...

Ugh, I have to use my google u/name for this, but I really wanted to comment - I love, love *love* Samoosas! They are one of my all time favourite snacks!

KatduGers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KatduGers said...

Me too - not exactly healthy, but so gorgeous!