04 November, 2008

Nice guys .vs. Bastards

Why is it that nice men get a raw deal from us women? What is it within us that makes us fall for the men we know will treat us badly?

I know several nice men – and they have all been treated really badly by women. Nice men are seen as “friends”. It’s the kiss of death for a bloke if a woman tells him he’s her best friend. He may be madly in love with her, but she will be pining over some bloke who he knows is going to hurt her and treat her badly before finally dumping her.

Why do we do it? Why can’t we see that the nice ones are actually the good bet. In my experience the drop dead gorgeous ones are usually bastards – and it is the very bastardness that makes them attractive, not the good looks. Because the nice guys can be good looking too – but lack that bastard quality that attracts the slavish and pathetic devotion that we are all capable of.

I have had a couple of nice guys in my time, and treated them really badly. I’ve had a few bastards too, and they have made me into a gibbering wreck – so I suppose the score is even! What I can’t work out though, is why couldn’t I see that the bastards were bad for me, and the nice guys were good for me?

Bastards are good for flings – if you are strong enough to not let yourself get too attached or even fall in love. Nice guys are good for long term relationships, or even life partners.

Maybe it’s a maturity thing, although I know people older than me who still fall for bastards.

Now, if only I could find myself that nice guy who must be out there for me somewhere.

2 comments:

Shakespeare's Housekeeper said...

Is there hope for the guy from the 'date night?'
I've had good and bad chaps in my time too- i know how you feel!
Even now, having been married for 6years, i do still sometimes think about the good ones that got away...only because i thought they were to nice!
And they are more difficult to break up with...you don't want to hurt their feelings...
SH xx

KatduGers said...

Ah well now that would be telling!
Rest assured I will keep the blog up to date!
ie. wait and see!!