11 November, 2008

AWOL

I've not been much good at blogging over the last few days. I came across a new blog to read - Reluctant Memsahib. It's written by a woman who is a writer, living in the bush in Tanzania.

Some of the things she has written have reminded me vividly of my own childhood - despite the fact that she is in the bush and I grew up in a town.

It's made me feel sad for the experiences I wish I had had as an adult, not as a child. I never appreciated where we lived when I was small - it was just home. I wish I had lived there at the age I am now - just not now, in the present day, as the country is no longer the country in which I grew up.

None of this makes much sense, I don't think.

How can you feel homesick for two completely different places? One of which you don't remember that much about, and the other a freezing cold, very wet country going down the pan?

0 comments: