19 October, 2008

Old Plans and New Ambitions

For those of you who know me, you’ll know that I am pretty passionate about animals and their welfare. A couple of years ago I started a correspondence course in animal care. I started the course, and was doing very well and getting great marks for each assignment (in French!), but life got in the way, and what with one thing and another I kind of let it drop.

I have regretted letting it drop, but never really got around to picking it back up again. When I started it I had some sort of vision of working in a veterinary surgery as a secretary/veterinary nurse – the two posts are often doubled up.

However, now I have a new plan.
The other night I was flicking through the TV channels when I came across a programme about RSPCA Inspectors. As I was watching it I though “this looks like my perfect job”. I have always wanted to work with animals in some way. When I was at school I always wanted to be a vet, but my sciences weren’t up to scratch frankly. We have always had animals ourselves, from dogs to chickens, and we have rescued some of our dogs – two privately and some others from rescue centres. Animal cruelty is something I feel extremely strongly about, and I have long wanted to work on the animals’ behalf against it.

After I watched the programme I did a little research into the possibility of working for the RSPCA. As I read through the job requirements I kept thinking “I could really do this”.

I have recently learnt about the Five Freedoms For Animals, and I would like to work to ensure that every animal has a decent life, and that people who inflict cruelty on them should be prosecuted and banned from ever having animals again. It’s something I feel very strongly about.

The Five Freedoms


1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
2. Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
4. Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
5. Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

So, I have decided to finish the animal care course. Then I would like to find some work experience for the SPA (in France) or with a vet. Then I would like to apply to the RSPCA to train as an Inspector. My idea is to do it to coincide with Isla starting secondary school, so that relocating won’t be so hard for her as she would be changing schools anyway. Also, by the age of 11 her French will be so well instilled into her that she won’t forget it. I would like to be located in the South to South West of England eventually, mainly because I know people in that area, and because it would be close to my Grandma. Ideally I would be able to work in Scotland, but the SSPCA (Scottish equivalent) seems to require volunteers, and while I would gladly do the job purely for job satisfaction, you can’t live on fresh air.

Now this is in no way set in stone, but it’s the only idea I’ve had in years that excites me, and makes me think that I do perhaps have an interesting and useful future.

0 comments: