21 September, 2008

Foodieness

This is my perfect menu:

Deep Fried Camembert served with redcurrant jelly and salad garnish

Garlic, Ginger & Lemon Chicken, served with new potatoes, a creamy garlic, ginger and lemon sauce and salad. Also will be French bread to mop up the sauce.

Vanilla Ice Cream and Red Fruit sorbet with broken meringue, raspberry coulis and homemade Almond biscuits.

Selection of French cheeses

Coffee and aforementioned Almond biscuits


What do you reckon? Want to come?

I do love food – I’m a real foodie. Not pretentious about it in any way à la Jilly Goolden or anything. I don’t have a clue what wines to serve (although white would seem to go with this menu – fat chance – everyone’ll drink red here!), and even if I did I wouldn’t give a damn, as I’ll probably be drinking diet coke! I hate wine! I have to be really desperate to drink wine, and then I’ll force a bottle of white down to drown my sorrows.

However, as I’m not depressed it’ll probably be Smirnoff Ice and / or Diet Coke. I could sponsor Diet Coke, although I’m really not a very good advert for it! I’m one of those people who will get a MacDonald’s – McChicken, Potato Wedges, Dime McFlurry (Crunchie in UK, Oreo in Japan yummy!!!!) and order a Diet Coke with it! Like it’ll balance everything out! Yep, that’s gonna work! Having said that, I can’t remember the last time I had a Macdonalds!

My downfalls are sweeties and ice cream. Not even decent sweeties! The crappier the better! I have just discovered Haribo’s Pico Balla sweets. They are tiny little morsels of deliciousness, unfortunately only available in Spain! So I can’t even get them here! Also things like strawberry and cola laces, with or without that sour sugary stuff! I also love Fruit Pastilles, Jelly Tots and Tutti Fruities! See, I did say crap sweeties! Although, anyone who offered me a lifetime’s supply of Crunchies would be a friend for life! My favourite ice cream is Haagen Dazs, in a variety of flavours, but mainly their Macadamia Nut Brittle, Coconut and Cookie Dough. I also adore Carte D’Or – their Hazelnut one is to die for! Kind of like Nutella ice cream, only not quite as sweet! All washed down with Diet Coke obviously!

My favourite meal would have to be steak – rare! I just love it when you put your fork in and blood oozes out! I know, that’ll turn the stomach of a lot of you (or curdle your wame as my favourite fictional character would say!). It’s perfection to me though!

I was baking the Almond biscuits today, in preparation for Tuesday night, and I tough maybe I should write a recipe book. Gascon cooking made easy! Or something like that! There’s an awful lot of Gascon cooking that’s shit – ie. Cassoulet! See my post about French stereotypes for my feelings about that! But, there’s also some great stuff. Magret de canard (duck breast) for example. It’s very dark, almost as dark as steak, and can be cooked very bloody. If it’s done right, it has a beautiful soft texture and is just yummy! I also adore Pasta dishes, except carbonara which is eggy. I detest eggs. They make me physically sick! Even the smell!

Anyway, that’s all on the food subject for a while!

See ya!

0 comments: