24 September, 2008

The Beauty Of Sarcasm

After answering some questions in a previous post I was reminded of my love for sarcasm. One of the questions was “Do I use sarcasm?”. Well, the answer to that is most definitely yes, and I appreciate the sarcasm of others.

As I said in answering the question, I think that intelligent people like and use sarcasm, without offending each other. It is the unintelligent who do not understand it and find it offensive.
Find below some of my favourite sarcastic quotes.

Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

"No, Groucho is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend."

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
"I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
"I didn't like the play, but then I saw it under adverse conditions - the curtain was up."
- Groucho Marx

"He was happily married - but his wife wasn't."
- Victor Borge

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." "Honesty is the best policy -- when there is money in it."
"Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children."
"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
"I would like to live in Manchester, England. The transition between Manchester and death would be unnoticeable."
- Mark Twain

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
- Clarence Darrow

"If you ever become a mother, can I have one of the puppies?"
- Charles Pierce

"You have delighted us long enough."
- Jane Austen

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about."
- Winston Churchill

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
- Billy Wilder

"I wish we were better strangers."
"I'll always cherish the original misconception I had of you."
- Unknown
John Cleese
- I find it rather easy to protray a businessman. Being bland, rather cruel and incompetent comes naturally to me.

Adrienne E. Gusoff
- Just when you realize life's a bitch, it has puppies.

W. Somerset Maugham
-She plunged into a sea of platitudes, and with the powerful breast stroke of a channel swimmer, made her confident way towards the white cliffs of the obvious.

Johnathan Swift
- Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

0 comments: