22 May, 2009

A Useful Member of Society Again!

Well guys...I got a job! Not a nice desk job with sensible 9-5 hours though!

Last week, my mate and I were driving back from the garage and we passed a pub that had a board outside saying that they required a chef. So, we pulled in, and I dropped my CV off, and had a little chat to the boss. He invited me to come back for a trial day on Tuesday.

So, on Tuesday I duly turned up - much to their surprise! They have had several people come in for interviews and not bothering to come for the trial days, or coming in for one day and then buggering off. In UK, in order to receive the dole money, it's necessary to go to two interviews a week I think, so there are an awful lot of social scroungers who do the bare minimum just in order to keep their dole money without actually having to work to get paid! Anyway, I assured them that I wasn't on the dole, I was here because I actually needed a job!


It's been hard because I have been out of the business for nine years, but I'm getting there. The plan is that when I'm back up to scratch I'll be 2nd Chef. The first day I was ok, but I thought that the second day I was crap - second day nerves and all that! But it's getting better - it's just getting my head back into that mindset again. The rest of the staff seem to be a really nice bunch of people, and I think I'll really enjoy working here. My only problem is that I haven't a clue how to go about finding out about childcare. I've got the paperwork to fill in for the housing people, but no idea how to solve the problem with what to do about Isla when I'm on lates. How do single parent nurses manage? They have even worse shifts than chefs!

So, I am once again a useful member of society, and a British taxpayer again! I can start complaining about scroungers who are spending my hard earned tax money and all that! I too can moan like Jeremy Kyle!

Oh, I did get my car back by the way - got it back on Monday. It turned out that the fan had stopped working, MELTED the thermostat and the cam belt was shot. I was so lucky it didn't happen as I was driving up the motorway in France!

0 comments: