17 March, 2009

Non believers - and I don't mean of the religious type!

Now, I know I keep going on about it, but guess what...I'm going to UK in a few weeks! Can you guess I'm excited! I am so looking forward to putting my feet on British soil again - even if it isn't Scottish soil! It's not as far away as here, and that's good enough for me at the moment!

I've been applying for jobs in UK, in the hopes that I can arrange a few interviews for when I'm there. My mum and dad are being pretty supportive, and that fact the my friend, who is moving back for good, is also updating her CV and jobhunting is kind of spurring me on a bit. I like to think that we are being mutually supportive on this one!

I got an email from another friend last night with a link to click on - I didn't. He said that apprently "there are ten applicants for every job in UK right now". I don't need to hear that. Especially when moving back is what I actively want to do.

Living in the Gers (aka back of beyond) may be right for some people - ie. people of a certain age who have a guaranteed income like a pension or some other means of survival, but for me, at 31, it is not right. There are even fewer jobs here than there are in Britain. We live in an agricultural area, and what jobs there are go to the French first - and quite rightly too really. It should be the same in Britain, but without wishing to get into a highly controversial debate, we won't go into that.

I don't like people trying to enforce their ideas on me, as though they are the only ones who are right. Factually, they may be right, but there has to be the right job out there for me somewhere.

I have actually booked my ticket back, but if I am offered an interview after the date on my ticket, then I will contact the airline and delay it. And if I have to start straight away I will do that too, get myself sorted with a house etc, and come back over a weekend to collect more of my things and Isla.

I want this. I need this. I think Isla needs it. I want to change her school anyway, as I am so not happy with the one she is at now. She also needs some schooling in English, and she could keep up her French by coming back here every summer.

So, to all the naysayers who think it's not a viable option - please keep your opinions to yourselves!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

1 comments:

justme said...

How exciting! Of course it IS true that there are lots of applicants for each job, but there ARE still jobs to be had, and I am confident that if your mind is made up you WILL get one.
Which part of the country will you move back to? Will your friend be close?
And of course you will still be able to visit Gers. Best of both worlds I say!
Good luck with the job hunt.