01 May, 2014

26th April 2014 - Grannie's Hielan' Hame

Hello blog readers, if I still have any left, which i highly doubt!  The first big news is that I am pregnant, the second is that I'm over 7.5 months along, and the third is that I'm already on Maternity Leave.  This means I now have time to resurrect my old blog!

The wedding and honeymoon seem a long time ago now, and we started trying pretty much as soon as we got married.  We found out in October, just before we went to France for my mum's birthday - perfect timing for telling them face to face.  They're really excited, as are Frazer's parents, who will be grandparents for the first time.

So, to start my Maternity Leave, and because we won't be able to go away easily once Scooty Puff Junior (the baby's nickname) arrives, I suggested a nice weekend away.  A work colleague had been to a caravan site in the North of Scotland last year and raved about it and the surrounding countryside.  I suggested it to Frazer, he duly booked it, and off we set yesterday complete with Isla and best friend Aimee, and the dog.  In the mist and drizzle.  We arrived last night, in gale force winds and the rain lashing down.

So, in typical Scottish fashion we are away for holidays in weather that would be best suited to a freezing November.  We are in the North East, almost as far as you can get, in Embo, near Dornoch, on the North Sea.  We are staying in Grannie's Hieland Hame, a Parkview Caravan site, right by the beach.  If the weather was good this would be great.  Unfortunately it's shit!  We arrived last night in lashing rain, booked in, got our key, let ourselves into the caravan and realised that we has signed ourselves up to a long weekend in a large tin can on the North Sea coast.  It would be funny if it wasn't so fucking cold!

Luckily, the gas fire in the caravan works very well, so it heated up quite quickly.  The water was off, but a quick call to the maintenance team sorted that out.  We ventured out at about 8.30 to see what was available in the form of food and entertainment.  The restaurant was closed, and the entertainment...well we were expecting something along the lines of the entertainment in the comedy Benidorm - nope, nothing that good!  Think Rod, Jane & Freddie from Rainbow - but shitter!  We left pretty sharpish!  We got the girls a takeaway - we had already eaten some niblles and weren't particularly hungry - went back to the caravan, watche some crappy tv, nicked some of their chips, and went to bed pretty early.

Frazer and I are used to a super king sized bed - we like our own space for sleeping.  We're in a double bed here, which normally probably wouldn't be a disaster, but I have this large stomach containing a baby, and rolling over involves a good minute or so of careful manoeuvreing - neither of us got much sleep, which explains why I was walking the dog on the beach at 6.45 this morning!  I think the dog probably slept better than the rest of us, as he was up on the caravan sofa within about 5 minutes of us going to bed - I know this because I forgot to take my phone charger through, and he was already up there when I came back through for it!

It looks as though the weather is going to cheer up later - fingers crossed.  We're going into Dornoch for a wee explore as it has a castle, a cathedral and a jail! Should be interesting!

0 comments: