30 January, 2012

It's A Dog's Life

We got a dog!! On Monday last week I spotted an advert on Gumtree from someone looking to rehome a ten month old black labrador. I spent the day exchanging emails with her on my phone and organised to go and see the dog in the evening. I met Frazer (because he was borrowing my car at the time) and we came home to pick Isla up first as we thought we all had to make the decision. The only problem was that we had to go to Winchburgh which is quite a long way from Peebles.


The difference between him and the dog we saw last Saturday was incredible. Whereas that dog sat and growled at us and shook for half an hour, this dog came running to greet us, licked us to death and then wanted to play. The decision was made, and we brought him home!
His name is Rocco and, as I said, he's a ten month old black labrador. He's a very handsome boy and has the glossiest coat. He's not been exceptionally well trained, but he is generally a good boy, and he has the loveliest nature. I think his previous owner made the mistake of thinking that teaching him tricks was training him. He can sit and give a paw but that's about it. He does come when he's called which is good, and he's good off the lead, but not so good on it! We're working on that one though!
On the first night he was completely hyper - probably a little bit scared, and he cried when we went to bed. And he's cried every night since! Only for about ten minutes but it's wearing. But tonight he's gone to bed in the kitchen very happily next to the aga. I've given him one of my fleeces so that he has something that smells of me (as he seems to have become my little shadow!), but he has also been for a massive walk in the woods today - we must have walked 5 or 6 miles! And with all his running around he must have done at least double that!
So, our little family is complete for now! It feels like a proper home with a dog here. The cat's nose is put firmly out of joint but we're making it up to him by letting him sleep on the bed with us for now! Spoilt moggy!

I have suggested to Frazer that he takes the dog to obedience classes so watch this space!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments: