30 August, 2011

Jobs and Ops

There's lots to tell you today!

The first thing is that I have a job...it's working for the same company through the same agency, just in a different department, so I only had about ten days out of work. I have to say that the recruitment consultant has done a sterling job and I really appreciate all her help. I can't tell you much more about it as it's working for a bank, but I think I'm going to enjoy it. I'm working in the middle of Edinburgh now, rather than on the outskirts, so I have to use the Park & Ride. It's a brilliant and convenient service, but I don't think I'll ever be convrted to being a public transport lover!

The second piece of news is that I had my operation yesterday! I had been told it would be the middle of September, and when I got the letter from the hospital it said the 25th August, so I was all prepared to go in last Thursday, having organised time off work etc despite only having started on Tuesday! As I walked out of the office on Wednesday afternoon the hospital called to tell me that there was now an emergency booked in for Thursday so could we delay until Monday. It was a bit of a disappointment having got myself all psyched up for it, but it did mean that we could have a nice relaxing weekend with more than a few drinks on Friday evening!

So, at 7.30 yesterday morning we prresented ourselves at Borders General Hospital in Melrose. We spoke to two or three different doctors and nurses to fill in various different forms, and I was informed that there was a good chance they would have to perform open surgery rather than keyhole, so theere were a few tears as I had got myself a little worked up by that point! I was meant to be second on the list but got moved down to third, so I had to sit around in the most attractive get up you've ever seen! 1) a hospital gown, 2) Frazer's dressing gown, 3) surgical stockings - white and 4) my red slippers! Highly appealing! They let Frazer stay while we were waiting, and then they kicked him out as it was only a day ward and there was nowhere for him to wait. He walked me down as far as the theatre doors then we had to say goodbye. That was scary. They put me into a little ante room, beyond which was thr theatre itself. I had to remove the dressing gown and sit on a trolley while they did blood pressure etc all the while flashing my bum to the world through the back of the hospital gown! I was having a lovely little chat with the quite handsome nurse while he put in the venflow etc, and the next thing I knew was waking up in the recovery ward!

It hurt...a lot! I kind of drifted for a while - no idea how long as I wasn't exactly with it - but after a bit the surgeon came to see me. They did manage to perform keyhole surgery luckily, but the surgeon said that the gall bladder was extremely big and full of stones. Sometimes when there's something wrong with you you're not quite sure if you actually are in that much pain or if you're being a bit of a hypochondriac, so it's quite a relief to learn that there was actually something quite wrong with me! Strange logic perhaps, but it makes sense to me! Apparently the operation took about 2 hrs which is a long time for keyhole, and the nurse had told Frazer that because of the time she thought that it was probably open surgery. But no, they just had to hoik out a massive gallbladder!

Frazer and Isla came to collect me in the evening. I could have stayed in if I thought I needed to, but I thought I would be better off at home in my own surroundings and with the people who love me. And there was a bunch of flowers waiting for me! I never stop thinking how lucky I am!

So, I'm in quite significant pain, on a scale of 1 to 10 it's probably around a 6 having taken painkillers. So, I'm just taking it easy! I stayed in bed watching rubbish this morning, and sat on the couch watching rubbish this afternoon. Isn't daytime tv rubbish! I have got a bit addicted to Come Dine With Me though! I love how bitchy they are behind each others' backs, I love seeing what they consider to be fine dining, and I love love love the narrator!! He makes the programme! It's mindless nonsense that requires no brain power to watch - perfect recuperation watching.

I have a freezer full of home made soup, and am going to give Isla some cooking lessons over the week so I don't stretch myself. But doing nothing is boring...oh well, hopefully recovery won't be long!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comments:

Timorous Beastie said...

Hope you feel better soon.