13 October, 2010

Technophobia

It’s generally men of a certain age who are technophobes. Not even old men really, but late middle aged. In their last 20 or so years in work they must have worked with computers of one sort or another, yet they still stick firmly to their guns that they have no idea about “technology” – and they say it with the quotation marks too! Half the time I don’t even think they’re telling the truth. They must know something about computers, otherwise half of them wouldn’t have had jobs in the last 20 odd years or more. It’s not hard, most of these things are idiot proof and you just follow the instructions.

For some people it’s almost a badge of pride. “Oh no, I have no idea how to use this, I’m useless with technology”. They say this with a proud little smile, as though you’re meant to be impressed with that. Why would you be? When did this become something to be proud about? It’s all rather sad really.

As I said, it is generally men. Most women have had to come to grips with it, because the men won’t. It goes back as far as video players. How many people do you know who never knew how to programme their videos to record something? Or even now, refuse to embrace dvd’s because they’re to complicated?

I deal with this on a daily basis, and cannot understand how some people haven’t moved with the times. Fair enough, with the elderly people it is a bit difficult, but at least they have the gumption to ask for help. The technophobe man just shouts that he can’t do it because of course he’s just not very good with technology.

Why don’t these people pull their fingers out and join the 21st century?

1 comments:

Ness at Drovers Run said...

Nice to have you blogging again!

Ugh it bugs me NO END when I get that attitude from people "oh I don't get computers - ha haha" - smug laugh. Or even worse, when they eyeball you, and say, "Oh YOU know." Because guess what? I don't know! Because I freakin' think computers are awesome and practically have a relationship with my iMac. So yes, I agree, they should pull finger and get with it. I mean seriously - it's like not knowing how to drive a car - which I realise - some countries have great public transport that you don't need to know - but still you don't have to own a car - at least know how to drive!!